Friday, December 21, 2007

My Brother's Logic

One of the primary factors for starting this blog was to use it as a learning tool. I love to read as well as write, but where I truly find understanding in whichever topic may be at hand, is from the people whom I associate myself. Lately, I have been picking random topics to dive into. While doing so, I do as much research as possible. I am learning, but I feel that at times I may be looking too much into what is meant rather than what is said.

Of late, I find myself calling my brother for advice or to simply ask questions. I turn to him for one simple reason. He always seems to have the answers. No matter what the subject entails, he never fails to point me to the correct scripture and give me his opinion on the matter while explaining why he has come to that particular conclusion. For him and his advice, I am thankful.

A few days ago, he and I were discussing this blog. I explained to him what I have just explained here, that I wanted to use this blog as a learning tool. A few minutes into the conversation, he told me that I should consider reading the Bible before studying it. To be honest, when he first said this, I dismissed the idea. But he relentlessly repeated himself...okay, maybe not relentlessly, but he did say it a few times. He advised me to simply sit and read the Bible. Not to study it right now, but enjoy it instead. You know, as silly as it sounds, he is right. I feel like I have spent a lot of time only studying it, without truly enjoying it. To go further, this reminded me of my wife. You see, my wife loves Godiva truffles. On occasion, I will pop one in my mouth and unceremoniously gobble it down and wonder why I just spent $2 on such a small bit of chocolate. This always irritates my wife. She never tires to tell me to eat it slow and enjoy it as it should be enjoyed. I guess I never stop long enough to smell the roses.

Back to the topic of my brother. He is only eight years my senior, but wiser by hundreds. I think God gave my brother to me to keep me grounded. As I get older, I have learned to listen to him, understand him, and appreciate him. I am happy to say he is my friend and mentor, but must of all, I am happy just calling him brother.

I wish everyone a very merry Christmas. Keep in mind the true reason for the season as you are enjoying the company of friends and relatives.

God bless you and yours,

Brian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ecc. 12:12-