Monday, January 14, 2008

Better in than Out

Jesus said in Mark 7:15-23:

"Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.'"

"Don't you see that nothing that that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? For it does not go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body."

"What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' From from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.' "

Is this message simply instructions of dietary habits of Jews of the time or was it meant metaphorically? Does this mean I can eat all the pizza I want, because all I really need to worry about is what lies within my heart?

Maybe, but I believe this parable may have had its literal meaning, but also includes a metaphorical meaning. In my reasoning, I take it to be a sign of our times. Everywhere we turn, we are bombarded with immoral messages. In some cases of political correctness, we are coerced into believing immoral behaviors are appropriate. I believe Jesus was warning us about just these things. I believe he was telling us that no matter what is crammed down our throats, we should allow it to pass through us while keeping little from the experience.

We have a guidebook to lead us through our life. We cannot and should not allow immoral entities to persuade us otherwise.

What do you think?

-Brian

No comments: